Event urges awareness of Down syndrome
On Oct. 5, A Brush and A Beverage held its first fundraiser for Down syndrome awareness.
The fundraiser was created Sandy Crandall, who said she started this for her 8-year-old grandson who has Down syndrome.
One primary focus of the event was to remind people that, “people with Down syndrome are more like us than different,” according to Crandall.
This event was not the first one Crandall has held in Wooster. Other such events include jewelry shows and Zumbathons at the YMCA.
Because she has yet to find an organization in the nearby area to donate the funds, Crandall said the proceeds will go to the Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio.
The DSACO was founded, “to support families, promote community involvement, and encourage a lifetime of opportunities for people with Down syndrome,” according to the organization’s mission statement on its website.
The funds raised at the Brush and a Beverage fundraiser will go to the DSACO’s main fundraiser – the Buddy Walk.
Of every dollar raised by Buddy Walk teams, 93 percent stays in the 23 Central Ohio counties that DSACO serves, with the remaining 7 percent going to the National Down Syndrome Society for national advocacy and support, according to the Buddy Walk website. These DSACO services include scholarships, parental workshops and expertise on disability legislation.
The day long event culminates in a trek around Mapfre Stadium, home of the Columbus Crew, according to the DSACO Facebook page.
According to Crandall, there are no immediate Wooster Down syndrome awareness fundraisers planned, but she hopes to continue her work as an advocate of awareness.